Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The graduation blues

It's my least favorite time of year. That time when  retailers feel the need to herald the end of another school year with Congratulations Graduates of 2013! plates, cups, napkins, and balloons.

I've been a parent for the last 25 years. I don't remember what life was like before toys, piles of laundry, and homework were spread out over my house. My children are the best and most important thing to me.  Next September my oldest son will leave home. In another year, my twins will graduate. The last thing I want is to be reminded of this fact every time I step into a store.

This is what stores think I see when I walk down the bakery aisle:


This is what I actually see when I walk down the bakery aisle:

A special thanks to my son for drawing this cake. (And that's another thing--who is going to help me with computer stuff when they go? I soo need some chocolate . . . and maybe a therapist.)

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

What a sweet post! I remember when my kids graduated high school (and college!) -- take it from me, it isn't so bad.

CJ Hill said...

I hope so. I'm making plans to turn their rooms into an office, a guest room, and an exercise room. Maybe that will cheer me up.